Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 04:54:43 +0100

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Tom <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:32:13 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> Users want to get the information fast and it is much faster to
>> search for something in google than trying to find the relevant
>> section of the manual.
>
> That's simply incorrect, if you use the 'i' command in Info, which is
> the main way of searching an Info manual.

That is perhaps more an opinion? I definitively think users who know
Google search well can find the information very quickly that way. And
new users - who we want to help, of course - probably are very good at
that.

That is my opinion. ;-)

> Once again, with Google, you never know whether the info you see is up
> to date or even correct.

This is not true. You do not have to search the whole internet just
because you use Google. You could do something like this:

   Google: "site:www.gnu.org/software/emacs/24.2/manual/ some thing"

If that folder exists there, of course.