HTML-Info design

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:42:33 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > An Info file is read into Emacs all at once, but it is subdivided
 > into nodes, and Info displays only one node at any time.
 >
 > Would it be possible, using a Javascript extension to the browser, to
 > get similar behavior from a file of HTML?  That is, load a whole
 > manual as a single file, then display just one subdivision of it, and
 > change to a different subdivision in accord with user commands?

Yes.  There are several browser+Javascript-based presentation packages
(for example, S5) that do exactly that.  It's easy to do with simple
HTML and a tiny bit of CSS,  and only a few lines of Javascript per
"primitive" navigation function (eg, "next" and "last").  Whether you
could get acceptable appearance and performance, and how much effort
that would take, I don't know.  I would guess it's not that hard.