Re: Results of the "mentoring" experiment

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Results of the "mentoring" experiment
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:01:37 +0000

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (João Távora) writes:
>
>> * I found that the information that is sought after in this phase is
>>   practically all written down and available already, but spread across
>>   the Elisp manual, wikipedia, the ELPA.git README, git tutorials,
>>   etc. A nice aggregation of this information would be useful, but this
>>   was in the original discussion I believe.
>
> I'm cleaning up this info; can you send me a list?

These are the ones I remember from the top of my head: there is
obviously more info around. There is also a lot of overlap. Without any
mentoring whatsoever, I'd say this is the minimal set for the common
case: cleaning up some rotten hack on github and contributing to
ELPA.git. Though most of it also applies to contributions to Emacs
trunk of course.

* https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Contributing.html

* https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Tips.html#Tips

  Particularly the nodes "Coding Conventions" and "Library Headers". I
  think M-x auto-insert should be mentioned in there somewhere.

* etc/CONTRIBUTE or CONTRIBUTE

* http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/README (very
  useful).

* http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs (emacswiki is down
  right now but I think there is also has a quick-start variant):

* http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELPA#toc2

* https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs and its linked
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit/, which is mostly
  duplication maybe?

  I had git credentials already, so I don't know about the patch
  process if there is one (in the past I just sent them to this list or
  the bug tracker).

Some useful non-GNU stuff

* http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2014/11/13/welcome-new-emacs-developers/

* https://hpc.uni.lu/blog/2014/understanding-git-subtree/

> Attached is my current patch, splitting CONTRIBUTE into user vs
> developer stuff; user stuff is now in the Emacs manual.

Sorry, didn't see it and didn't follow that part of the discussion. Were
you looking for comments on any specific part of it?

João