Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:29:43 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > (But not in this case.  I  get completely
 > > different results, oriented to very different audiences.
 >
 > By contrast, the above simple use of 'i' puts me _exactly_ where I
 > want to be.

But Eli, unless you've got a psychological condition I haven't
noticed, you are at most one of those audiences.  And even if you
didn't write that node and indexing markup, you could have, no?  Of
course you're not surprised!  That's hardly a fair test.

Don't get me wrong: I have always been happy with the results of "i",
80% or 90% of the time it does indeed take me exactly where I want to
be, and much of the rest of the time I end up in some unintended place
that is nevertheless educational (and usefully so).  But I also did
the whole tutorial the first time I used Emacs, and often get started
with a new program by reading a few chapters in sequence from the
reference manual.  So I'm hardly a reliable witness on what "typical"
users would expect.