Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 14:26:17 +0700

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The
>> question “how do I do X” does not always mean “how do I do X using
>> features I already have installed” — rather frequently it means “what
>> can I install in order to do X”.
>
> That's a far cry from your original statement, see above.  I'm
> guessing that Emacs belongs to the features that are installed on your
> system, yes?

Emacs does. Ten thousand packages for Emacs do not, yet.

Example: I want to be able to perform automated refactoring of Python
code. The answer I’m seeking is “go install the ropemacs package” but
Info won’t find that.

>> > I encourage you (or anyone else) to enhance info.el
> You could start with HTML output of makeinfo, if that makes the job
> easier.  I don't think anyone will mind.

The HTML output of makeinfo already works for me well enough. I just
choose to view it in Firefox rather than Emacs and cope with Google’s
automatic indexes instead of hand-tuned Info indexes.