RE: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 00:31:30 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > >  > she wants to read about "cut and paste".

 > > You mean 12.3 “Cut and Paste” Operations on Graphical Displays
 > > right?  I agree that the *user* wants to be there, but I'm not sure
 > > *we* want her to be there.  In particular, on "i cut" I would be
 > > very tempted to land her in the parent, "Killing and Moving Text".
 >
 > Irrelevant to this discussion.

Look who's talking!

But no, this *is* relevant to this discussion.  The point (which was
made explicitly) is that Eli and I disgree on "the right" node for the
index; in such cases Google style "implicit" indexing based on user
behavior which provides a variety of choices may be more useful than
Info-style indexing based on focused choices by knowledgeable editors.

As Paul Eggert points out, the two approaches are complementary for
most users, with different users tending to prefer one or the other to
some degree.