Re: HTML-Info design

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 01:39:21 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > Is there a reason we cannot extend the Info format?  It has been
 > extended for images already.

Of course it's possible, but why reinvent the wheel when there are
already many implementations of the HTML standard, and a convenient
target browser (IceCat) for specifying an appropriate subset of
features for use?

Especially when you consider how poor the current implementation of
texi2any is on several fronts, maintaining multiple backends seems
like a good way to waste effort better spent on performance and
improved support for HTML (which is already supported).  On the other
hand, with a well-defined HTML-Info spec, I think it would be easy to
extend eww to handle the necessary features (eg, with a hard-coded
stylesheet -- implementing a reasonable subset of CSS would be a big
project, but simply implementing the proposed display features is much
simpler), so that Emacs could be a very competitive HTML-Info browser.