Re: HTML-Info design

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 01:16:38 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> We are talking about replacing an existing browser, one that is
> developed for decades and is chock-full of useful features.

Not really.  It's pretty much the same since it was developed first.
Indexing and search have admittedly been polished quite a bit in the
last 10 years.  Though it's not as much the indexing that has been
polished but rather Emacs completion in general.  Images have been added
and happen to work fast and well in Emacs info though not anywhere else.

The Info file format is bland and has not been changed over a long time,
formatting of links is incoherent and unpredictable, paragraph
formatting around @example tends to be inconsistent and so on.

Navigation and display is instantaneous and good, the results are as
readable as one would expect from an editor specializing on working with
texts.

That's all, but it's essential.  It doesn't suck where it counts, and
for some reason that's not what the HTML browsing based universe has
managed so far.  And the browsers _have_, in contrast to Info, been
actively developed for decades.  And yet I could not name a single thing
in which they are significantly better than the first browsers let loose
on the HTML from Texinfo were.

For M-x info RET, I could name probably half a dozen things.  That's
pitiful, but less pitiful than none.

--
David Kastrup