Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:58:16 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 14:01:30 +0900
 > > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>

 > > Paul is on the side of the angels, he just wants to add a new useful
 > > tool (web search)
 >
 > That's a no-brainer.

Apparently the word "just" was not.  Despite his disclaimers, you took
his post as a deprecation of manuals in Info format.

 > No one said anything to the contrary, so there's no need to argue
 > with that non-existing argument.

Please slow down, Eli.  Nobody said there was an argument with that.
My intention was to imply that you seem to be misinterpreting his post
which was intended to say that, and not intended to say that web search
should *replace* Info indexes.  Obviously the courtesy was wasted and
I should have said "you seem to be misinterpreting" explicitly.

 > Web search is a valuable tool when you want to expand on the
 > information you found in the manuals.  However, for information
 > that is in the manuals, Info is usually faster and more accurate.

"Nobody said anything to the contrary, so why are you arguing with
that nonexistent argument?"

Some people are arguing that for them and for people like them Emacs
manuals at present do *not* have the necessary information indexed,
and that therefore web search is a relatively cheap way to improve
access to information about Emacs.  A few deprecate Info manuals[1],
it's true, but surely Paul doesn't.

Footnotes:
[1]  Because they believe "people like them" to be the great majority,
and apparently that people like you will adapt to the new format at
little cost -- I believe the second half is quite false.