Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 16:48:31 +0100

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> It puts up a lot more false positives, and sifting through them can make
>> this quite useless.  Particularly if we are talking about words that
>> have also common meanings.  Try Googling for the relation between "cat"
>> and "less".
>>

> First hit is this for "cat less":
> http://staff.science.nus.edu.sg/~shing/unixlab/files03.html
>

> In my experience when searching for emacs related stuff in the vast
> majority of cases google gives me useful results in the first hits.

Try "Install auctex on windows".

Hit #6 (rather high on the list, and it's #4 on Duckduckgo) is
"http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~dvanness/auctex.htm"; talking about AucTeX 9.9p
which was released in 1999.  The instructions are all completely
useless.

The first two hits are from the official documentation, with the
remaining hits running into the obscure pretty fast.  So why prefer this
search over the official documentation?

--
David Kastrup