RE: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 15:29:19 -0800 (PST)

> The reason I don't want to adopt this position is that it implicitly
> assumes we should treat "use Google" as the recommended solution.

I'm guessing that your objection here is not to recommending web search but to
recommending the use of Google.

FWIW, "googling" is commonly used as a generic term for web-searching (using a
web search engine).  Like it or not.

Just as "kleenex" became a generic name for facial tissues and "scotch tape"
became a generic name for transparent tape, "google" as a verb is likely here
to stay.

You can decide to fight that use as a verb - that's a choice.  You can suggest
and hope that people will use a verb such as "web-search" instead.

But "googling" does not imply using www.google.com, even if, because of
Google's overwhelming presence, "googling" also has that connotation.

People will know what you mean, if you use "web-search" as a verb instead of
"google".  That's one viable alternative.  (What they will understand by the
verb "to web-search" is "to google".)