Re: HTML-Info design

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 23:31:07 +0000

>   > What would be success?
>
> My idea of the goal is
>
> 1. A spec for HTML-Info format, saying how the Info data such as
> menus, indices and node structure navigation are represented
> in HTML.
>
> 2. Something to generate HTML-Info from Texinfo input.
>
> 3. An extension for Firefox to implement Info-style commands
> using that data.
>
> 4. Emacs Lisp code to browse HTML-Info files.
>
> #1 is conceptually prior to the others, but I would
> develop it and #3 together.
>
> Any comments on this plan?
>
> Are you interested in working on it?

What you are asking for is consistent with what I have been working on.

I would say I have made a first pass at 1. and 2. and 3. (presuming 3 is
ok as just a "normal" web application).

I could start to do 4, as I've said.

It is a BIG job. Getting really good Info like behaviour into a browser
isn't trivial. It's also a thankless task (as I believe has been proved
on this thread).

Replacing Info in Emacs with an HTML based Info will also, I suspect, be
thankless.

I cannot commit to deliver this in the first quarter or anything like
that.

But I can promise to keep working on what I've got and making it better.

What else would I need to do?

Nic