Re: HTML-Info design

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:13:24 +0100

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

> It is a BIG job. Getting really good Info like behaviour into a browser
> isn't trivial. It's also a thankless task (as I believe has been proved
> on this thread).

Replacing an existing solution with existing userbase with something
that is bound to have worse performance and/or less integration with
Emacs is going to be thankless, obviously.  The people most expected to
profit from it are not even using preinstalled documentation yet.

So any thanks will take years to arrive.  The most thanks you can expect
from existing Info users is that it works hardly worse than before.

And it will be quite a bit of work to let the current "I websearch for
everything" target clientele lean towards changing their ways as well.

So yes: this will very likely require a lot of self-motivation before
satisfactory external appreciation is going to come in.

> Replacing Info in Emacs with an HTML based Info will also, I suspect,
> be thankless.
>
> I cannot commit to deliver this in the first quarter or anything like
> that.
>

> But I can promise to keep working on what I've got and making it
> better.
>
> What else would I need to do?

I think it might make sense trying to work out a roadmap that draws in
some helpers eager to prove themselves.  Problem with that is that those
might want to work on more "cutting-edge" solutions rather than what
simple browsers support.

--
David Kastrup