Re: HTML-Info design

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:34:12 +0000

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> As another data point: quite a few people here claimed that Texinfo 5's
> drop of compilation speed was a deal breaker for them.
>
> Compilation speed.  And you are working on a replacement for an
> interactive application that is supposed to tie into one's editing
> workflow.  And it is supposed to tie into Emacs workflows by engaging an
> Emacs-based HTML browser.
>
> That's a long long uphill battle.  So one should very much focus on
> thinking about game-changing workflow features implementable in the HTML
> backend that are not accessible from Info.

I don't really get this. We're not replacing texinfo. We're replacing
Info.

We're replacing Info so you can generate documentation in multiple
authorial formats, easily write converters for your authorial format of
choice into one Info and have it displayed the same.

So I don't think compilation speed is much of a problem.

It won't change as a result of what I do.

I would hope to alter the EmacsLisp texinfo generator as an initial POC
for rms' objective #2 - "Something to generate HTML-Info from Texinfo
input"

Nic