Re: HTML-Info design

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 18:24:48 +0100

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh wait. The HTML files are in the distribution and not the
> installation... so we could alter the installation... but then where
> would we get them from? I guess users will want a wrapper command around
> eww....

If we were to use a web browser internally in Emacs to look at the
documentation, there would be a command for doing that.  Like, say,
`C-h i'.

> There are lots of things to sort out. I'm not sure eww is the right
> starting point.

So you keep claiming, but you haven't said why.

> But if you think it is then go to it!

Like I said, I no clear idea what all y'all are after here.  I think
Info works just fine inside of Emacs, and I see no particular reason to
move to anything else.

Moving to HTML might offer more flexible rendering, though, and I can
sort of see some slight advantages to having the same files in Emacs as
on the web, but, like, meh.

> Specifically you can easily create a new buffer link from an existing
> Info link (`info-menu'). I don't think you can do that in eww yet. Or am
> I wrong?

(defun eww-browse-url (url &optional new-window)
  ...)