Re: HTML-Info design

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 02:59:52 +0200

>   > What would be success?
>
> My idea of the goal is
>
> 1. A spec for HTML-Info format, saying how the Info data such as
> menus, indices and node structure navigation are represented
> in HTML.

These is already a node structure in HTML generated by makeinfo
Menus are represented by class="menu", and indices by class="index".

> 2. Something to generate HTML-Info from Texinfo input.

It would be great to include JavaScript in the output generated by makeinfo.
To be able to do this, prepared JavaScript files should be included
in the Texinfo distribution.  Then visiting an HTML-Info either
locally or from a web site in a web browser supporting JavaScript
will allow HTML-Info navigation, search and other features of Info.

> 3. An extension for Firefox to implement Info-style commands
> using that data.

A Firefox extension requires the users to install it,
so this won't be a convenient option to use HTML-Info manuals.

> 4. Emacs Lisp code to browse HTML-Info files.

There are at least two places to use such code:

1. creating an extension for eww (e.g. eww-info.el)
   to support HTML-Info search, indexing, etc.

2. using HTML in info.el (or creating a separate info-html.el)
   that will use shr to better rendering in Info
   like was demonstrated in http://debbugs.gnu.org/14670#14

> Any comments on this plan?
>
> Are you interested in working on it?

If needed, I could help with the latter.