Re: HTML-Info design

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:43:37 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> A Firefox extension requires the users to install it,
>> so this won't be a convenient option to use HTML-Info manuals.
>
> A an extension installed separately lets the user choose which version
> to install, lets her hack on it easily, ...
>
> A version bundled in the HTML files would force the user to use exactly
> that code with no practical control over it.  Even if that Javascript
> code is GPL'd, in practice the user doesn't have much more option to
> modify it than in a Tivo device.

I favour a separation between the content and the app.

If you look at it, my existing webapp achieves this. It doesn't do
anything with that separation... but it does have the separation
there. So the same "app" could be used to look at multiple manual
sources presuming they all conformed to what the app expects (no
different from any other software situation of course).

I don't particularly see that the separation needs to be achieved with
an extension. There are other ways. But as we already said, it's
pointless arguing about this right now.

> Remember what the first "F" in "FSF" stands for?

This thread seems to exist to just annoy us all.

Nic