Re: HTML-Info design

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:09:25 +0100

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>   > It would be great to include JavaScript in the output generated by
> makeinfo.
>
> I've decided against this.

I wonder if that is a misunderstanding? A JavaScript (EcmaScript)
solution could be valuable for browsing the HTML documentation stored
locally.

A search engine solution could give a similar functionality as part of
an online search of the HTML documentation on the web.

(A search engine can be used locally to, but that looks rather
inconvenient to me.)

>   > > 3. An extension for Firefox to implement Info-style commands
>   > > using that data.
>
>   > A Firefox extension requires the users to install it,
>   > so this won't be a convenient option to use HTML-Info manuals.
>
> I've made this decision on ethical grounds.  The ethical issue
> overrides that practical one (which is a small one, after all).

What is unethical about using EcmaScript instead? Or, do I misunderstand you?