Re: Stale undo-tree in elpa

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Stale undo-tree in elpa
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:40:38 -0500

> It appears the FSF doesn't automatically pull,

[ FWIW, the FSF doesn't have much to do with this, other than providing
  the hardware resources to host elpa.gnu.org, and holding the copyright
  for the code. ]

No, indeed elpa.git is not auto-updated by pulling from some remote
repository.  Instead it's the package maintainer's responsibility to
keep his elpa.git code uptodate.  I did consider auto-pulling, but for
now I decided it's better not to: it's better to have a human take
responsibility for installing code into elpa.gnu.org.

Note that pulling can't be made 100% automatic since there can be conflicts.

> and instead either manually pulls or relies on package maintainers to
> push, but people are busy with other things.

An easy way to avoid those problems and save time is to use elpa.git as
the upstream on which all work is done.  That's the recommended way to
use elpa.git.

> For packages such as undo-tree that have only a trunk, not separate devel
> and stable branches, the assumption must be that new versions are unstable
> unless declared otherwise.

Stability of the code is largely irrelevant since new packages are only
created from elpa.git when the "Version:" header of the package is modified.
Furthermore, releasing a broken package is not a big deal either since
releasing a fix is quick&easy.

        Stefan