Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 02:56:52 +0000

[…]

 >> IOW, the wrapping would be window (and hscrolling) independent.

        We may still want some value to mean “wrap at window width,
        however it is currently set.”

 >> And a "truncated line" could then "simply" be a line with an
 >> "infinite" wrap-column.

 > I simply fail to see any practical use cases for this kind of
 > display.  What are we trying to support with this?

        That’d make it easy to display format=flowed (RFC 3676) MIME
        parts, as well as enriched-mode documents, MediaWiki pages, and
        pretty much any other kind of text which allows for /both/
        wrappable and preformatted parts at the same time.

 > It's hard to reason about this without having some use cases in mind.

        For one thing, I edit MediaWiki pages on almost daily basis, and
        using word-wrap (and wrap-prefix) is more or less a no-brainer
        here.  Occasionally, however, it may be sensible to mark some
        parts of the buffer (as in: <pre />, <source /> and
        “leading blank” parts) to use truncation instead of wrapping.

        Now, to repeat myself, I know very little of the current Emacs
        display implementation.  However, it seems to me that
        wrap-column makes us one property closer to native multicolumn
        display.  Consider, e. g.:

This is an example sentence with wrap-column set to 23.

This is yet another example sentence with line-prefix and wrap-prefix
both set to (space :align-to 25), – or something like that.

        From there, we may display it as follows:

This is an example
sentence with
wrap-column set to 23.

                         This is yet another example sentence with line-prefix
                         and wrap-prefix both set to (space :align-to 25), –
                         or something like that.

        Yet, provided that some other property is switched on, the Emacs
        display engine may decide to show it like this instead:

This is an example       This is yet another example sentence with line-prefix
sentence with            and wrap-prefix both set to (space :align-to 25), –
wrap-column set to 23.   or something like that.

        As already imagined in this thread, forward- and backward-char
        commands would then still follow the logical order of text in the
        buffer (that is: the “23” sentence, then the “25” one), while
        left-char, etc. would (under visual-order-cursor-movement) follow the
        visual order.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A