Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: word-wrap and wrapping before window-width
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:37:41 +0000

[…]

 >> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Box-Diagrams.html

 > What I see there is not what was described in this discussion.  There
 > are blocks of text there that are exempt from word wrap, that's all.

        That’s also all what I’ve initially requested: to be able to
        mark portions of text as exempt from word wrap.  (Or, better
        still, – to force truncation for such lines.)

 > But as soon as you make the window narrow enough to have the
 > horizontal scroll bar appear, and you scroll horizontally using that
 > scroll bar, the entire text is scrolled as one rigid body,

        With lines being wrapped /past/ the window’s own borders, right?
        So, you’d see exactly the picture Stefan has provided earlier:

 SM> +---------+
 SM>  here is t|he example|
 SM>  wrapped t|ext       |
 SM>           ^          |
 SM>     window border    |
 SM>                      ^
 SM>                 wrap-column

        Or perhaps even:

      |← window borders →|
    He|e is the more or l|ss
    th| same example text| ↖
      |                  |  wrap-column

        Such display is clearly possible with Firefox, while the Emacs
        display engine so far doesn’t support it.

 > exactly as Emacs does with horizontal scrolling.

        It isn’t the behavior I observe, – when I scroll a Emacs window
        horizontally, all the lines that were wrapped are magically
        unwrapped.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. Balance — David Modica  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A