Re: Correspondence between web-pages and Info-pages

From: Kelly Dean
Subject: Re: Correspondence between web-pages and Info-pages
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 04:24:35 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Don't overlook two important parts of this: using the same name both for
>> user input and for display,
>
> That's good, yes, but is a UI issue which can be fixed regardless of
> Info-vs-HTML-vs-whateverelse and regardless of which kind of names
> we use.
>
> IOW it's unrelated to the discussion at hand.

But I wasn't responding to the main discussion (of whether to replace Info). I
just responded to the side discussion (for which you created a new subject
line) of the names/syntax used for the UI for Info.

>> and using different names for different formats
>> of a page (Info vs. HTML).
>
> No: I specifically don't want to use different names for different formats.
> Instead I want to use a single name that works both in your web-browser
> and in Emacs, and that gives the best experience possible in both cases
> (i.e. in a web-browser it needs to be HTML, and inside Emacs it would
> have to be Info for now and maybe some HTML-Info in some future).

But in my original message, I proposed a solution that provides exactly what
you're asking for (a single name that works in both web browsers and Info
browsers), by using redirects to the HTML or Info page (each of which has its
own name). I explained how it would work, and I think it covers all the issues
raised in this subthread about how these names should work.