Re: Shrinking EIEIO objects

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Shrinking EIEIO objects
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 21:11:32 -0500

> Oh, I missed the call to 'message'...

Sorry, for that: the message call was added for diagnostic purposes,
it's not meant to be installed.  The "name" arg passed during creation
of objects is obsolete, tho.  But I don't know yet how to tell
programmers about it (that's why I just added a `message' for now, so
that I could tell when the name was detected and dropped).

> which made me believe that NAME will stay supported. The name is saved
> in the hash table `eieio--object-names',

Right, but only when set via eieio-object-set-name-string.

> but `eieio-object-name' does not return the name that was passed, so
> it doesn't seem to work.

eieio-object-name definitely should return the name, but the name passed
during clone&creation is indeed just thrown away (since AFAICT 99% of
those names are dummies).

        Stefan