Re: Shrinking EIEIO objects

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Shrinking EIEIO objects
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 10:55:14 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> Oh, I missed the call to 'message'...
>
> Sorry, for that: the message call was added for diagnostic purposes,
> it's not meant to be installed.

Phew. :-)

> The "name" arg passed during creation of objects is obsolete, tho.
> But I don't know yet how to tell programmers about it (that's why I
> just added a `message' for now, so that I could tell when the name was
> detected and dropped).

Any chance the byte-compiler might be able to detect this?

>> which made me believe that NAME will stay supported. The name is saved
>> in the hash table `eieio--object-names',
>
> Right, but only when set via eieio-object-set-name-string.

Ah, OK. I think that's a good compromise.

Thanks for working on this! Since Eric also decided to drop support for
Emacs 23.x, I guess we can now really remove EIEIO from CEDET upstream
and just depend on the one that is in Emacs core.

-David