Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:46:30 -0500

  >     We do that by excluding such output from the definition of Target
  >     Code. Because of this, even if someone writes a plugin that saves
  >     this information to disk, any programs that change the structures
  >     before GCC writes out Target Code will be involved in the
  >     Compilation Process. If that program is proprietary, the exception
  >     will not be available to any software compiled with it; the object
  >     code that GCC ultimately creates will have to be distributed under
  >     the terms of the GPL.

  > Now I'm even more confused why you'd have a problem with exporting the
  > AST.

These conditions on libgcc will be effective if a plug-in is used,
provided compilation continues thru the GCC back end, because the GCC
back end makes code that depends on libgcc.

But if the plug-in writes the whole program as an AST and compilation
uses some other back-end, it probably won't use libgcc, so those
conditions on libgcc won't apply at all.

I am very concerned lest the GCC back ends to be replaced with LLVM,
which permits proprietary changes and proprietary back ends.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation