Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 18:19:16 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:49:20 +0100
>
> You propose to transform or filter the AST. This means coming with
> an intermediate step for throwing away information. Obviously
> devising and implementing such intermediate step

You've misread what I wrote.  I said nothing about doing anything with
the AST, certainly not throwing away information in it.

What I proposed was to come up with a set of requirements for a
hypothetical data package that GCC would need to deliver to support
the kind of functionality we would like to have.  Once we have these
requirements, we can see how they map into the AST (or into something
else, if someone has other proposals).  E.g., if it turns out that we
need 99% of what is already in the AST, the argument for using it will
be much more substantiated.

> The field of compiler-based IDE features is a thriving field, a
> magnet for inventive individuals. This is not about copying the
> features of some other IDE, it is about providing a basis por making
> Emacs the home of those inventive individuals that could put Emacs
> on the top of IDEs again. Having an intentionally crippled
> compiler-provided info set is sending a "go away" message.

I agree with every word, and didn't intend to imply anything against
that.