Re: Copyright issue

From: Kelly Dean
Subject: Re: Copyright issue
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 19:57:35 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> 1. My code is PD. (In case the FSF disputes this fact, I'm attaching
>>    a signed document to establish it.)
>
> It can't be PD.  You're simply confused about it.  It will only be PD 75
> years after your death (or something like that).  Until then, all you
> can do is sign paperworks, and currently for Emacs contributions we
> require this paperwork to be a copyright assignment rather than
> a disclaimer.

GNU's own website says it can be PD. The documents at the three links I sent
you start with:
⌜I'd like to ask you to sign a disclaimer for the manual, thus putting it in
the public domain.⌝
⌜I'd like to ask you to sign a disclaimer for the program, thus putting it in
the public domain.⌝
⌜I'd like to ask you to sign a disclaimer for your changes, thus putting them
in the public domain.⌝

Notice the ⌜thus putting them in the public domain⌝.

Also, do you claim that SQLite is not PD? The author, Richard Hipp, says it's
PD, and the many millions of users of SQLite, including many major companies
with lots of copyright lawyers, accept the legal fact that it's PD. And Richard
Hipp is not dead.

Also, do you claim that feedmail.el is not PD? The first lines of it are:
;;; feedmail.el --- assist other email packages to massage outgoing messages
;;; This file is in the public domain.

;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.