Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:34:41 -0800

On 01/10/2015 11:29 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> With proprietary software, the developers' decisions about what
> features to implement, or not implement, are restrictions on the
> users.  The point of free software is that our decisions -- whatever
> we may decide -- are not restrictions.
>
> What I see is that you do are trying to pressure me in a certain
> direction

What you call "pressure", I see as advocacy. There is nothing wrong with
advancing arguments in favor of one's position.

> What I intend to do is investigate these issues thoroughly _one by
> one_ to see what options exist for each, and what is good or bad about
> them.  I will think about refactoring when I understand it well enough
> to be able to judge arguments myself.

Does Clang's popularity inform your decision-making process? I've seen
no evidence in this thread that you're considering the broader social
context.

Do we need to repeat this process every few years and every time someone
thinks of a new way to integrate GCC and Emacs? I very much like the
example upstream of highlighting overloaded operators. Another feature I
want very much is the ability to fontify, in C++ and Java, is to
distinguish local, member, and global variable references using
different font-lock faces. This task isn't "completion", but 1) requires
access to the AST (for lexical context), and 2) is already present in
IntelliJ, which is also free software.

> First I will learn about it
> from people who are not trying to pressure me about it.

The trouble with asking people who already agree with you is that they
already agree with you. My sense is that you're merely equating
positions contrary to your own with "pressure".