Re: An easier way to edit variables

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: An easier way to edit variables
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:22:08 -0500

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:16:53 +0000 (UTC) Tom <address@hidden> wrote:

T> A while ago I had an idea about modifying a variable directly in
T> the Help buffer:

T> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/168042

T> I don't know if somebody tried implementing the above idea, but
T> if it gets implemented then the two features could easily be
T> combined: when in info and reading about a variable I could
T> press, say, 'v' on it which would bring up the Help window of
T> describe-variable where I could immediately see the current value
T> of the variable and I could even modify it in place if I wanted
T> to.

I think the `v' info popup would be good regardless of the rest.

The `describe-variable' popup already has a link to the customization
interface but the in-place-editing would be really nice.  Perhaps it
could be implemented as an accordion-style interface (like in
`customize-group') so it's hidden by default, yet you don't need to hit
a link and go to a different buffer to use it.

Ted