Re: Fwd: Hiring a programmer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fwd: Hiring a programmer
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:06:09 +0100

Vaidheeswaran <address@hidden> writes:

> Please advise.  Thanks.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-01/msg00241.html

It has to come from the person holding the copyright.  Whether that is
"you" or "the programmer" depends on the contract between "you" and "the
programmer".  Without explicit mention in the contract, the programmer
would retain the copyright (and thus be the one assign copyright to the
FSF) but could be non-free to exercise it (unless the contract
explicitly states that you get a non-exclusive usage right).  So it
might _also_ be necessary to secure a copyright _disclaimer_ from you
where you state that you do not assert any rights over the execution of
the author's copyright.

I am not a lawyer: when in doubt, ask the copyright clerk from the FSF.

--
David Kastrup