Re: Page navigation in doc-view.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Page navigation in doc-view.el
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 09:54:15 -0500

> The 'p' and 'n' commands (also bound to C-x [ and and C-x ])navigate
> to prev and next page resply.  BUT it leaves me not in the beginning
> or end of the page but somewhere in the "middle" of the page.  (This
> behaviour is very useful in some circumstances.  For example, in
> inspecting footnotes.)

Indeed, this is a feature, rather than a bug (it's even a feature that
I sorely miss in pretty much every other PDF viewer and one of the main
reasons why I tend to prefer Emacs to view PDF documents).

> That said, I would have expected to the canonical behaviour of the
> above commands to leave me at the beginning of page or end of page.
> (i.e., above commands followed up with '<' and '>')

> What do you think?

IIRC there's a variable doc-view-continuous to choose the behavior, tho
IIRC it affects SPC/DEL rather than n/p.

        Stefan