Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:39:12 -0800

As a general rule any change that I make omits changes to MS-Windows code. I don't understand MS-Windows well enough to change its code reliably, and I have no easy way to test any changes that I would make. Typically my changes do not introduce problems on the MS-Windows side, but if I notice potential problems there I give Eli a heads-up before installing the change, so that he can address the problems. This has been our longstanding practice.

The recent Qnil == 0 change was a substantial low-level change that shook out some unexpected glitches in both MS-Windows and non-MS-Windows code. Had I seen the MS-Windows glitches in advance I would have given Eli a specific heads-up about them, but I didn't see them. Sorry about that. I'm also sorry for the non-MS-Windows glitches, of course.