Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget updated (1d8b8a2 -> 5f46725)

From: joakim
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget updated (1d8b8a2 -> 5f46725)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:21:42 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:16:57 +0100
>>
>> Here in the L2R case, I insert a button in the middle of the text. If I
>> type more text, the buttone moves along with the text towards the right
>> edge. This is the expected behaviour.
>> (xwidget-demo "a-button"
>>               (xwidget-insert (+ 15 (point-min)) 'Button  "button" 60  50)
>>               (define-key (current-local-map) [xwidget-event]
>> 'xwidget-handler-demo-basic))
>>
>> In the next case the button is also in the middle of the text at
>> first. However, when the direction is changed to right-to-left, the text
>> sticks to the right edge as expected, but the button jumps to the edge
>> rather than staying within the text. If I type some text, the text move
>> right to left, but the button just stays there at the right edge.
>
> That's indeed a sign of some problem.  The code that places the widget
> on the screen on the Xlib level is something specific to your changes,
> am I right?  I believe that's where the problem is: somehow that code
> doesn't work correctly in right-to-left display lines (a.k.a. "glyph
> rows").  Can you show the code which computes the coordinates where to
> place the widget?

The code is supposed to work like it does for images. The display engine
calculates coordinates.

Then the xwidget code further tweaks the coordinates, and place the gtk
components on-screen.

AFAICS in this particular case the (xwidget modified) display engine
isnt calculating the coordinates properly, because text is flowing
around the gtk button. It is not being placed above text.

I think the xwidget code is basically older than the merge of bidi to
trunk, and I never did the modifications necessary for bidi, and I think
I'm missing some important bidi bits.

Anyway, I will try your method below and see if I can figure something out.

--
Joakim Verona