Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 18:03:23 +0200

> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:34:01 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>     IOW, basically the request is to post a short note about things you
>     know anyway.  The only extra work is composing the message itself.
>
> But as I mentioned, I don't know these things, as I don't look at the
> MS-Windows code when I make changes like that. It's not reasonable to expect
> developers to search all modules every time they make a change that could
> conceivably be modified and/or adapted and/or adjusted to some other module.
> We already have too much to do, and this extra bureaucracy's cost would
> outweigh its benefit.

It's a small overhead, yes.

What's the alternative, though?  Doing nothing means leaving the parts
you side-stepped to bit-rot and generate bug reports, which is a
maintenance burden we'd like to avoid, so it's clearly not acceptable.

Leaving it to others to discover the places that were omitted, without
any guidance as to how to identify them is too error-prone, so will
again cause bugs.

Another alternative would be for you to describe how you searched for
relevant places in the modules you did review and change -- either by
presenting the scripts and/or commands you used, or as a plain-text
description of the course of actions needed to identify those places.
I think this would be more work for you, but if you prefer it that
way, it's probably okay, too.