Re: W32 with native scroll bars woes

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: W32 with native scroll bars woes
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 00:15:55 +0100

David Requena Zabala <address@hidden> writes:

> Many thanks for a prompt response.
> Seems though that my point didn't get through very well...
>
>> Scroll bars are supported on Windows and do work.
>
> I can build a non-crashing emacs, with abhorrent windows scroll bars,
> any day of the week. Or download a pre-built binary for that matter.
>
> I do want scroll bars, just emacs own "native scroll bars" (counter
> intuitive emacs speak, not mine). Those are much less obtrusive,
> customizable and work well for analog indication of current position
> on the buffer.
>
> To that effect, on some platforms you can configure with
> '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars'.
>
> Doing so on NextStep/OSX gives an error: "Non-toolkit scroll bars are
> not implemented for Nextstep."
>
> The same on a w32 build merrily builds a broken binary with no
> configure error whatsoever. If that is ok or not remains for you,
> devs, to judge.

This is a bug. The configure script should report that
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars is unsupported on Windows, as you suggest,
or document the fact.

> Question stands: is it currently possible, in any way, to get *emacs
> native scroll bars* in w32 emacs? We had those in the past.

Now, it is my point that didn't get through. The only supported
scrollbars on Windows are the native ones. AFAIK that was the case since
the beginning.

You can make the scrollbars thinner. Try this:

(modify-all-frames-parameters
       '((scroll-bar-width . 10)))

[snip]