Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:30:57 +0200

> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:39:34 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 01/21/2015 09:55 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > I could simply object to your changes that do a
> > partial job, or revert them.
>
> Wow, is this really a threat to block or revert changes to the Emacs
> mainline code, as leverage to force people to do unnecessary drudgework
> to help polish up the MS-Windows code?

No.  It's a reminder that infrastructure changes should be done across
the board, or not at all.  A developer who does such changes cannot
unilaterally decide that some parts of the code will be exempted.  It
is okay to ask others to help with platforms to which you don't have
access.  I offered you my help with Emacs code specific to MS-Windows.
That offer still stands.

IOW, what you call "polish up MS-Windows code" is actually part of the
job of developing Emacs.  You cannot unilaterally decide to change
this policy.

> This is starting to get ridiculous.  Let's drop the discussion, as we're
> not making any progress (quite the reverse, I'm afraid).

I already suggested several ways to resolve this.  Feel free to make
your own suggestions, provided that the result will be that such
changes are done everywhere, without unduly punishing your fellow
developers who offer you help to do parts of your job.