Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:49:28 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:08:20 +0100
>
> Emacs is developed with a distributed version control system so working
> on private changes is perfectly possible without affecting the common
> public repository.
>
> Where a change requires involving multiple platform maintainers, it is
> easily possible to first propose/provide the change in a branch where
> the respective platform developers able to test or cater for a change
> can prepare such changes without affecting the usability of the master
> branch for other developers.

That's certainly a possibility.  But it, too, assumes some minimal
level of cooperation between the platform maintainers.  At the very
least, the idea and perhaps also the details of the change should be
published.  It makes no sense to ask others to guess how to find which
places on their platforms need change from large diffs.

> > Let's drop the discussion, as we're not making any progress (quite the
> > reverse, I'm afraid).
>
> While it does not appear that you've changed the stance of either of you
> two in any way, at least others became aware of the issue and of your
> inability to come to an agreement.  That makes it more likely that
> others will try contributing to a resolution in case the problem
> reappears.

I hope so, because I've exhausted all the ideas for compromise I had,
and they all have been rejected.