Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:57:52 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:08:20 +0100
>>
>> Emacs is developed with a distributed version control system so working
>> on private changes is perfectly possible without affecting the common
>> public repository.
>>
>> Where a change requires involving multiple platform maintainers, it is
>> easily possible to first propose/provide the change in a branch where
>> the respective platform developers able to test or cater for a change
>> can prepare such changes without affecting the usability of the master
>> branch for other developers.
>
> That's certainly a possibility.  But it, too, assumes some minimal
> level of cooperation between the platform maintainers.  At the very
> least, the idea and perhaps also the details of the change should be
> published.  It makes no sense to ask others to guess how to find which
> places on their platforms need change from large diffs.

I disagree here since those others will know the way around their
platform code better than someone catering for a different platform.

I would not myself go pointing out which stuff should be changed in the
Windows code in order to parallel some GNU/Linux specific code changes
I submit.

But that does not mean that a contributor should refrain from describing
what he had to do on _his_ platform (with a high-level description
rather than one tied into the platform-specific code) to accommodate the
changes, and what functionality will likely be affected similarly on
other platforms.

--
David Kastrup