Re: Minor feature idea

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Minor feature idea
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:56:58 -0800

On 01/22/2015 02:09 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> In the minibuffer reading a file name, C-a typed within the last
> component could move to the start of that component.  The next time,
> it could move to the beginning of the line.
>
> If people think it is a good idea, I will write it if no one else
> does.

I use C-a C-k too often to want to change the C-a binding.  The existing
movement function bindings are adequate if we want to use them.

> Alternatively, C-M-b and C-M-f could move by filename component.
> That is cleaner and does more, but those chars are harder to type
> and users won't come across it in their editing.

backward-sexp and forward-sexp feel like a better fit for navigation by
path component. They're close enough already that I frequently use them
to edit paths.

Another option is to repurpose the word movement bindings. I don't know
what to think of that. Is a filename a "word"?