Re: What's up with apply-partially?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What's up with apply-partially?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:32:44 -0500

>>> I have been wondering this myself. I wonder if it was a workaround from
>>> the time when lexical-binding was not activated in subr.el?
>> Yes, I think this is the explanation.  Feel free to change it,
> Huh.  Perhaps this causes different behavior depending on whether the
> _use_ of apply-partially happens in a file with lexical-binding being
> `nil'?

No.

> Or the use of the function defined using it?

Neither.

> After all, apply-partially was first defined when lexical binding was
> not available in Emacs.

That's right, but it was defined differently then.  When lexical-binding
appeared, it made it possible to re-implement apply-partially
differently so as to avoid the problem of name-capture.  That's the code
in use now.  At that time, subr.el was not yet using lexical-binding, so
I did not just use a "normal closure".

> So some uses might depend on particular
> semantics in non-lexical-binding files?

No.