Re: make bootstrap fails: cp: .git/hooks/applypatch-msg.sample: No such

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make bootstrap fails: cp: .git/hooks/applypatch-msg.sample: No such file or directory
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:39:21 +0200

> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:11:52 +0100
> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
> Paul Eggert skrev den 2015-01-27 07:50:
> > Sam Steingold wrote:
> >
> >> .$ mkcd z
> >> ./z [37]$ git init
> >> Initialized empty Git repository in ./z/.git/
> >> ./z [38]$ ls -R .git/
> >> .git//hooks:
> >> total 40
> >> 8 ctags*        8 post-checkout*    8 post-commit*        8
> >> post-merge*        8 post-rewrite*
> >
> > That's odd.  It doesn't look like my .git/hooks at all.  I wonder what
> > other incompatibility bombs Apple has planted in their version of Git?
>
> FWIW, no git repository I have on OSX (2 machines about 20 repositories)
> has this layout.  This is what they have:
>
> % ls .git/hooks/
> applypatch-msg.sample*     pre-push.sample*
> commit-msg.sample*         pre-rebase.sample*
> post-update.sample*        prepare-commit-msg.sample*
> pre-applypatch.sample*     update.sample*
> pre-commit.sample*
>
> % git --version
> git version 1.9.3 (Apple Git-50)
>
> I think this is a local problem, not a general one.

It's beginning to sound like one.

So maybe something happened to /usr/share/git-core/templates/hooks
directory (or wherever it is on OS X) on Sam's machine.  What do you
(Sam) see there?

Or maybe Sam has an alias that calls "git init" with --template
option, pointing it to  a non-standard place.  (What does
"git config -l" display?)

Or maybe GIT_TEMPLATE_DIR is set in the environment on Sam's machine.

Or something similar.