Re: make bootstrap fails: cp: .git/hooks/applypatch-msg.sample: No such

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: make bootstrap fails: cp: .git/hooks/applypatch-msg.sample: No such file or directory
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:09:19 -0500

> * Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2015-01-27 19:39:21 +0200]:
>
> So maybe something happened to /usr/share/git-core/templates/hooks
> directory (or wherever it is on OS X) on Sam's machine.  What do you
> (Sam) see there?

$ ls /usr/local/share/git-core/templates/hooks/
total 80
 8 applypatch-msg.sample*        8 post-update.sample*           8
pre-commit.sample*           16 pre-rebase.sample*            8 update.sample*
 8 commit-msg.sample*            8 pre-applypatch.sample*        8
pre-push.sample*              8 prepare-commit-msg.sample*

> Or maybe Sam has an alias that calls "git init" with --template
> option, pointing it to  a non-standard place.  (What does
> "git config -l" display?)

aha!!!
I do have

[init]
        templatedir = ~/.git-templates

in .gitconfig; removing it fixed the problem.
Sorry.

Now, the reason I have the .git-templates is to call ctags after each
git operation; I thought that those things were cumulative with the
system-provided git hooks.

I wonder if I can keep my ctags hooks and get the new git *.sample
scripts too.

Thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343