Re: Single quotes in Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Single quotes in Info
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 23:18:11 +0200

> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:24:09 -0200
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > If this is implemented in isearch, then IMO doing it for quotes alone
> > makes very little sense.
>
> The quotes are just proof of concept.

Yes, but what concept is that?  Does it scale up to a general-purpose
feature of the kind that suits isearch.el?  Just replacing one
character for another doesn't, IMO.

> > If we do this via our private database, that database is going to be
> > huge.
>
> Is it? I would expect something on the order of 50 lines.

There are more than 5000 characters in the Unicode database that have
equivalence and canonical decompositions.  (Look for entries in
UnicodeData.txt whose 6th field is non-empty.)

> > We already have infrastructure for that, see
> > the description of the 'decomposition' character property in the ELisp
> > manual.
>
> Building this on preexisting infrastructure would be great, but does that go
> the right way? Does it relate a simple character to all its complex
> equivalents? Or does it relate each complex character to a simple
> alternative?
The latter.  Read paragraph 1.1 of UAX #15 for the starting point, and
also section 3.7 of the Unicode Standard.