Pixel-based display functions (was: HTML-Info design)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Pixel-based display functions (was: HTML-Info design)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:27:17 +1100

I've now made a proof-of-concept implementation of eww using

http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2015/01/28/eww-can-haz-font/

But it's so slow that it's not practical to use.

shr needs three functions to be kind-of fast to work:

1) A pixel equivalent of `current-column'

2) A pixel equivalent of `move-to-column' (which will be imprecise, of
course, but that's OK)

3) A pixel equivalent of `string-width'

If somebody could whip these up, then Emacs would have a web browser
that kinda almost looks like a real one.  :-)

I've pushed the shr changes to the "shr-fontified" branch, and it would
perhaps be practical if whoever volunteers to implement this also puts
these new functions there, and we can merge them all to trunk once
things work satisfactorily.