Re: git push precautions

From: Kelvin White
Subject: Re: git push precautions
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:57:49 +0000

I just use `git diff' before every push to see exactly what I'm pushing, and I always specify the remote repo i.e. `git push origin master'

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015, 1:52 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Ivan Shmakov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:30:57 +0000
>>
>>      My preference is rather ‘push.default nothing’, so that
>>      git-push(1) fails loudly should I fail to specify what to push.
>
> IMO (and IME) that's a nuisance that isn't justified.

git's defaults have historically been so unreasonable that I never push
without explicit mention of both local as well as target reference.  It
decidedly is less of a nuisance than having to clean up after Git goes
overboard.

Nowadays the defaults may be saner (and the setting configurable in the
first place).  Still, the "nuisance" is comparatively small, and in
exchange you know just what _any_ version of Git will do.  And if you
quote your process, nobody will get double-crossed by following your
example.

--
David Kastrup