Re: Single quotes in Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Single quotes in Info
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 05:44:50 +0200

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 19:38:08 -0200
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> I've been looking into what you suggest, but it seems the
> decomposition property won't be enough. It does give us the necessary
> information for things like á and ç, but it doesn't say anything about
> the quotes (which was the whole inital point), nor about characters
> like ⇒ (which I think someone else on this thread suggested).

These are specific to Emacs, and should be added.

> Furthermore, the point here would be to have "a" and "á" match each
> other, but the decomposition of "á" gives us two characters (as would
> be expected). How are we to programmatically know which of these two
> characters is to be considered equivalent to "a with accute"? Is it
> safe to assume it's the first character?

I'm not at all sure we should compare a and á equal.  It's an
additional feature anyway.  If we do want them to compare equal in
some cases, then yes, you take only the first character of the
decomposition (the so-called "base character").

> Otherwise, if we demand that the user types a´ to be able to match the
> á letter, then this feature seems kind of moot.

As I explained, the user can type the decomposed character instead.

Again, this is not necessarily about easier typing, this is about
comparing equivalent text equal.