Re: Single quotes in Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Single quotes in Info
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:24:52 +0200

> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:05:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I would like to see the ability for users to define classes, and to
> "activate" (enable the use of; turn on) or "deactivate" (turn off) a
> particular class of equivalences as a whole, including any of the
> predefined classes.

This would require modifying the Unicode tables.  They are just large
char-tables, so someone who knows what they are doing should be able
to do that.

But that's not for the faint at heart, and I don't see why users would
like to disable or replace portions of those tables.  I do understand
why in some use cases certain equivalences classes are inappropriate,
but they are inappropriate _as_a_whole_.  Doing that for a part of a
class doesn't make sense to me.  E.g., why would you want to make 2
and ② equivalent, but not 2 and ²?  So this kind of customization
doesn't have to be easy, IMO, and it's okay to ask such users to know
what they are doing.