Re: package.el dependencies

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: package.el dependencies
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:58:23 +0000

> > This will prevent deletion of obsolete depencies (packages which are
> > dependencies but have a more recent version installed). To fix that,
> > PKG in this function needs to be a package-desc object, and the
> > function needs to be altered as follows.
>
> Can you explain this with a real life example ?

The user hits U on the package menu, and a dependency is marked for upgrade. The user hits x to execute the transactions. The new version of the package is installed, then the old version is deleted. When package-delete is called on the old package, you get an error because this package is used elsewhere, even though it's fine to delete it (because there's a newer version installed).

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. Again, package-used-elsewhere-p needs to take a package object, not a symbol.
Note, the fix I proposed only works if you also change package-delete to actually pass an object to the function when it is called.

> > IIUC, this will remove a package from packages-installed-directly if
> > it is not currently installed. That seems undesirable, and would be
> > fixed by simply removing this call to `customize-save-variable'.
>
> And I disagree on this one.

Do you disagree that it's undesirable, or do you disagree that it well happen?