Re: Pixel-based display functions

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Pixel-based display functions
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 19:09:22 +0100

> The problem, as I understand it, is to find the place where to insert
> these breaks, when column text is wider than the column.  And
> window-text-pixel-size cannot tell you that, it can only tell whether
> the chunk of text fits or not.

IIUC he would have to check each word whether it still fits into his
column including a leading space.  Maybe he could start with some n
words and remove those that don't fit.

Modulo the R2L problem.  But I have no idea how Emacs deals with
line-breaking embedded R2L text anyway.

> It's not kaput.  The problem happens only if its results are used for
> inserting a newline in order to break the line in two.  In all other
> use cases, it does exactly TRT.

I haven't looked into this yet but am afraid that if FROM or TO are
somewhere within R2L text it won't necessarily report the maximum length
of a line.

martin