Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget 9fe732a 2/2: Better changelog for xwidgets

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget 9fe732a 2/2: Better changelog for xwidgets
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 12:45:34 +0900

Dmitry Gutov writes:
 > On 02/02/2015 04:12 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > >   > Why do we need to fetch first? Just check against
 > >   > origin/master. If it's outdated, the push will most likely
 > >   > fail anyway.
 > >
 > > It didn't this time.
 >
 > That means origin/master on Joakim's machine wasn't outdated. Which,
 > without someone implementing the actual check, doesn't give us anything.

The check isn't hard, it's just

    current=$(git rev-parse origin/master)
    base=$(git rev-list --first-parent origin/master^..HEAD | tail -1)
    test "$current" = "$base"

(untested).  Probably we should be a little more careful about
specifying what is proposed for push on the user side than just
"HEAD", but that gives the basic computation.

Turning that into a hook for receive-pack is something that may be
equally trivial, but I don't have the time (or the interest) to
investigate hook-writing.

In any case, the point of doing the check locally is to avoid a failed
push which is annoying and upsetting, especially to users who are used
to a different workflow or VCS.  If you're doing the check offline or
otherwise the fetch of the branch you want to push to fails, sure,
fall back to the current state.